Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ribbon Pearl Necklace

I saw a similar necklace minus the flower ribbon in a catalog from a company I don't think I should name for over $40, ouch! My sister gave me these gorgeous glass pearls about a year ago and it has been sitting in my jewelry drawer. This was the perfect opportunity to use them after all, I have a ton of ribbons sitting in my ribbon drawer. This necklace would make a perfect gift for Mother's Day since it's coming up pretty quickly. Now, here's my question to you:
Would you like a tutorial for this? If I have alot of requests for the tutorial, I will get it done for you since it takes a bit of time to photograph and write everything up. I just want to make sure there's enough interest before I do it.

Have a SUPER day!




You'll need:
Large beads/pearls
Ribbon (one for necklace, one for flower)
Embroidery Floss/Silk thread

1. Cut your ribbon about 50" or depending on how long you would like your necklace to hang. Allow for at least one inch per bead. Determine your starting point by dividing the number of beads in half and add 1" per bead. Start measuring from the center towards the end of one side of your ribbon to determine starting point. Sew a really good knot to start make sure it's secure and won't come out of the ribbon.



Thread one bead. See the picture below how I pinched the ribbon to wrap around the bead? This is to line up the ribbon to the bead's hole. Put your needle through the ribbon. You'll weave the beads around the ribbon back and forth until you've used up your beads. Secure the thread as you did in the beginning. Take your ribbon and make a knot. This will hide the threaded knot you've made. You can see this knot in the finished necklace I wore.



2. Cut a 36" piece of 5/8" organdy ribbon, you can cut yours longer if you would like a larger flower. Put needle through the beginning of the ribbon, leave a 5-6" tail. Sew long running stitches.


3. Hold on to the thread you've left a tail at the beginning, pull up the thread where your needle is. Check to make sure the threaded side of the ribbon is at the bottom. Pull both ends of the thread tightly together and tie off. Referring to the picture of me wearing the necklace. Sew the flower onto one side of the necklace.



Show and Tell Green

15 comments:

Erika said...

Beautiful necklace - I'd love a tutorial!

TeenaBugg38 said...

Yeah me too!!! I think this is stunning!!! If no other comments just invite me and Ericka over for girls night and show us in person.....LOL

Jill said...

Love that! And I think the flower adds a lot, so nice addition! Thanks for sharing!
-Jill

CraftyMummy said...

This is gorgeous! I lpve the beads and the flower.

Julianna said...

That's beautiful! Great work!

Melissa said...

I enjoy this too. The flower is perfect.

Kelli W said...

I like your version and the addition of the flower. I made a similar necklace and bracelet set a few weeks ago with a tutorial.
http://the-wilson-world.blogspot.com/2010/03/ribbon-and-pearls.html

Unknown said...

Oh shoot--I was coming here FOR a TUTORIAL!! :0) So yes, I'd love one!!!
PS--Your necklace is so pretty!

Helena said...

So pretty! That is one classy necklace. And adding that flower was such a good idea.

I'm thinking yes for the tutorial :)

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Sarah said...

I'd love a tutorial for this! I hope it's easy :)

Unknown said...

i would love to see a tutorial! i'm here from the trendy treehouse. i just bought some glass pearls and would love to do something like this with them. thanks! i'm following you now.

Christy said...

I would love a tutorial! We've been wanting to make one of these for awhile, but I am not sure how.

Dara Lynn said...

Tutorial please~~~~~ time to spread the cuteness and creativity!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

This is too cute! I love it!!

~Morgan

Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas said...

Hi..I’m Barb from Fri. Follow.I love all the stuff on your blog & made it a Fav. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
& get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well.