Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Quick Christmas Gift Tutorial

I haven't done much when it comes to tutorials so how about a quick and easy one? I know I've seen a mug rug with this layout and quilting. I just can't remember who, so if it's yours please let me know so I can give you credit. I was working on a heart block and cut my triangles the wrong size so instead of throwing it away I started sewing these half square triangles and had just enough for this little mug rug. It finishes at 6" square and I drew the graphics to go along with my instructions so you too can whip up some quick Christmas gifts.

If you would like a PDF copy, e-mail me. In order for me to embed the pdf file into this post, I have to subscribe to an online file saver and I just don't need another account. Have too many to remember.

Mug Rug Tutorial
By Kim Sherrod
Finished size: 6” x 6” square



All seam allowances are 1/4".

Supplies:

8 - 2 3/8" dark print, cut once on the diagonal
8 - 2 3/8" light print, cut once on the diagonal
1- 2 1/4" strip binding
1 - 9" x 9" square coordinated print for backing
1- 9" x 9" square batting

These are what you should have:





8 squares: cut each square once on the diagonal = 16 triangles each dark and light

1. Place one light and one dark triangle right sides together and sew. Do same for all light and dark triangle pieces. Press open. You now have 16 half square triangles.



2. Sew 4 half square triangles together for each row. Sew a total of 4 rows.



3. Sew the rows together to complete the top of the mug rug.




4. Layer backing, batting and mug rug top together. Quilt as desired.


5. Prep your binding, by folding the 2 1/4" strip in half wrong sides together and press. Line up raw edge of binding to top of mug rug and sew on binding. You can hand stitch the back of the binding or sew by machine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great and easy to understand tutorial! Thanks for posting. =)

Michelle said...

I LOVE EASY! Great idea!