Sunday, October 11, 2009

Quilt Festival

Lately I have been inspired to start quilting again. I was checking out Amy's blog and found out she was having a blogger's quilt festival so I decided to join in the fun. What quilters are supposed to do is pick their favorite quilt and tell a story about it. The quilt I chose is one that my girls and I participated in. I asked them to join me and participate in a 12 month block-of-the-month program. They were only 6 and almost 8 years of age at the time. Every month we would go to the quilt shop and pick up our kit, as long as we finished the previous month, we get the next month's block free. The blocks were from a book by Lazy Girl and it was not a beginner's pattern, but they did a great job with it. At the end of the 12 months, I helped them pieced their quilt together and I machine quilted and did all the binding on our quilts. The quilt below is one I made. I created the flower block to go with the Lazy Girl blocks. We each chose something different to finish off our quilt. I was so happy that I was able to spend each month with my girls teaching them how to quilt, that's why I chose this as my favorite quilt.







14 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love it and what a great story :)

Joyzelle said...

Beautiful memories...
wonderful quilt.

Mom said...

What a great quilt!
Thanks for sharing,
Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Carol said...

Very pretty quilt. You have some interesting color combinations going on in there.

Kaye Prince said...

I think you and your girls did a beautiful job with this quilt! It's really amazing that you were able to get your girls interested in quilting at such a young age!

Allie said...

Beautiful quilt! I love hearing all the stories to go with the quilts. How great that your girls can sew with you.

beth said...

What a fun memory with your girls!
thanks for sharing!

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful quilt.

Thanks for sharing and for participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Kim, what a delightful way to share your love of crafts with your children.

Lollydo said...

How nice that you are able to share your passion with your daughters! Your quilt is beautiful! I love the pinwheel in the top row.

Leslie said...

this is so pretty...very bright and cheerful

Anonymous said...

I agree, it IS cheerful!!! I like the colors and the movement the quilt has! Those flowers are especially EXCELLENT! ; ) Thanks for sharing.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

What a sweet story! Your girls will have lots of memories of doing quilts with you!

Carolyn said...

I love the story that follows your beautiful quilt. It is so pretty!